Apr 12, 2007

Boss

I've been thinking of him lately and how it's time to get busy and write it down.

The first time I met him was at the urinal at the federal building in el lay, at the height of the dog trial. He stood next to me, his dick hanging down in that ugly warrior arc, his hands on his hips, upside down hands, thumbs forward, the way steady leather skinned farmers do, and although he wasn't wearing suspenders it was if he was, I think of him that way, and here he was looking out at a grand view of America and saying, 'kid, pretty amazing isn't it.' And then he looked at me with his kindly smile, his St. Anthony smile. He could be mean, vitriolic beyond belief, but the best of him has always been his good hearted regard for strangers.

And then at the other end, riding around with Paulie driving through the city late at night, just the three of us, already then, regretting the loss.

No comments: