Mar 8, 2010

But what if Sandra Bullock, who should not have received her award, had come up on stage and said, "I am overwhelmed by this honor.... I am stunned, and I am very thankful. It is a dream come true. And to all those who helped me to this point, I deeply thank you. But you know if this is to mean something really, it should go to someone else this year. I don't know who that is. I only know that some other nominee deserves this more. I am not made of this mettle." And then had she offered some appropriate theatric, handed the statue back to a handler and walked off stage. That would have been better drama, during a ceremony that seems like so many other ceremonies and institutions and individuals these days, a vague approximation of something, a replica event, an impersonation, a disingenuous little thing, one more 'dey cart before dey horse', one more spectacle in response to, one more example of a culture so ready to react but not to act.

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

I didn't have a chance to watch the awards- but I heard they were pretty much the same as always. But I was thinking- maybe Sandra Bullock does think she deserves the award and she doesn't want to give it back :)...so many of us just go through the motions because we think that is what we are supposed to do.